Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Voices

I know you are reputed to love voices raised in song - but I'll bet that there is another set of voices that you love even more - that is the high pitched squeals, squeaks and screams of children playing with joyful abandon.  A few times a week, I sit at a local restaurant that has a play facility - the primary reason is to hear those sounds myself.  Of course sometimes, since I'm an older gentleman, the sheer volume and exuberance can start to grate on me - mea culpa! My hope is that you in your glacial distance hear those voices and accept them as prayers.  Maybe in fact that is what redeems us as humans.  As we grow older and lose the capacity to scream like that, we also grow more cynical, and yes more devious, often evil.  But the fact that once we could shriek like that might be a reason for us to continue.  
As older people, some of us give way to other joyful noises - fans at a sporting or musical event, people having sex, or playing tennis, or even sometimes just walking down the street.  Sometimes although the joy is there, we don't let it out, there is no expression in it.  It is no less valid, and no less prayer than the joy that is vocalized.  

No comments:

Post a Comment