Saturday, February 19, 2011

I think you can really be a snob - I mean, I talk to you every day, sometimes all day long and in my memory you have never once responded in a language I can understand.  I've asked for signs and guidance but when I see what I think is a sign or guidance and follow it, I am always wrong.  I've stopped asking.  I long ago abandoned the idea that you are anything or anyone that we can comprehend.   The old images of the old man walking in the garden no longer work for me. The fairy stories are just fairy stories - at best primitive attempts to describe you. Even so, I continue to talk.  Why is that?  Even as I'm telling myself that there isn't any evidence, that silence indicates non-existence, that I'm nearly an atheist as far as belief goes, I still talk to you.  When I'm walking, when I'm dreaming, when I'm staring off into space.  When I'm doing good works, even when I'm sinning, I think of you and in my mind I talk to you.  Sometimes I even voice my thoughts and because I'm outside when I do this, not in a church or in the privacy of my home, people look at me as if I'm crazy, as if I'm hearing voices but we both know that I've never heard your voice.  Why then do I continue?  They say the answer is blowing in the wind - well I guess the wind isn't blowing anywhere near me.  When I hear about somebody who does hear voices, I'm even a bit jealous.  When I see some of the people who go to churches with their simple certainties, I'm a bit jealous too.  Or people who see visions, who rise up in their minds to a higher plain to touch and be touched by you.  I remember when I was a child going to church - there was a prayer we said - I am not worthy, say but the word and my soul shall be healed, all my life I have been making that exhortation, yet I have never been touched, my soul is not healed.  Sometimes I am afraid that talking to you is a form of lunacy in and of itself. Should I continue to indulge them?  Should I stop?  So - as I said, you can really be a snob.  Only talk to a few, a chosen few?  The rest of us be damned?  If that is true then aren't you, really, an enemy, something to be overcome?  Even thinking this, I am talking to you.  Why is that?  Why do such dialogues continue?  How many others out there feel as I do?  

No comments:

Post a Comment