Monday, February 7, 2011

Why Letters to God?

I've been writing letters to God for as long as I can remember.  Some of them have found their way into the book, but most of them have been lost or discarded along the way.  What are they?  Words on a page or a computer screen.  Like the larger text of the book they are freeform, but there is a bit more direction to them. My letters to God are usually observations about the world in conflict - and the clash of ideas and faiths that is the world of religion.  Some of them are prayers, some of them are examinations of scripture or doctrine.  Like anything I write, they are spurious, dashed off, unedited.  When I write letters to people, I address them to the intended victim.  When I write letters to God, I address them to God in the best way I know how, and that is by keeping the intention for God to hear these thoughts in my mind as I type them. In and of themselves they have no importance.  To me their importance is paramount because I hope someday to find the gift of faith.  So far it eludes me, and I am confused by what I see people of faith doing in the world.  Hopefully someday I will be granted understanding.  Until then I can only guess, theorize, plead, beg, hope, play and love what I am doing enough to keep doing it.  At the very least they entertain my mind as I write them.  At best I can hope that someone else may find enjoyment here and that maybe in sharing some of my questions and observations perhaps assist me in getting some answers of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment