Monday, March 7, 2011

One brief encounter

I was in a parking lot the other day walking towards the grocery store.  There was a woman walking by herself with the wind tying her hair into knots.  She was grimacing and trying to hold her hair down with her hands.  As she passed me, her face looked so frustrated that I was about to avert my eyes, but just then, she smiled.  It caught me so off guard that I started to laugh - she started in too, and suddenly there we were, lost in laughing.  When my own laughing subsided, I said "hi," she giggled out a "hi" of her own and we both walked on, chuckling.  The rest of the day, the spirit of that moment filled me up.  I'd never seen her before, don't know her name or anything else about her, I'll probably never see her again, but we shared something as intimate as anything I've had with friends, relatives or lovers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment