Friday, October 11, 2013

Letters



I don't believe in God, but I know God is there.  I don't know what the hell he or she is, I don't understand the language that he she or it speaks in, but I am assured, when I take the time to look and listen, that God is there.
I don't know whether God listens, but I know that God hears.
Just as we remember everything our senses take in, God remembers everything too.
And this makes every thing we do, every page we write, every fact we uncover, every dream we fall through, every passion we indulge, every picture we paint, every photo we take is in essence a letter to God.
Belief not required when existence is directly observable.
When I draw or write I am responding to this direct observation.  Since the languages are not ones I understand I can only hope to learn by context.  What never wavers is the existence.  It is like a murmur in the background even when all else is silent.  A dim light that is all but invisible, but fills up every space, like air only more so.
On days when I think like this, all I can say by way of prayer is a simple greeting - or a nod of "I see you".  This is not a God to whom you can pray - this God wants no prayer, only to coexist and to know that we coexist.
Its like standing next to somebody without talking. You are aware of each other, but neither one speaks.  Or perhaps one, or the other sings to themselves gently, but not in a way the other can comprehend.
Its like a song in a foreign language, a problem in a strange and unknowable math.
The way we know each other is not so different from the way that we know God.
Sometimes if I listen hard enough, I think I can understand, but then every time I come close, another veil falls into place, or another layer of smoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment